We are seeking a teaching artist to coordinate our youth program and facilitate storytelling programs that help young people to build their storytelling skills and confidence. If you’ve ever said, either from your mouth or from your heart, that you dream of being a teacher, but not a teacher, this is for you. If you ever told your friends or family that you’d like to “work with kids” but didn’t know how, this is for you. This position is designed for the “fun uncles/aunts.” This position is designed for the people who wish to be the person they always needed as a child. This position is your chance to say YES, when every other adult around says no. Apply today!
Ex Fabula is a nonprofit that connects Milwaukee through real stories. Our vision is a radically inclusive community that honors the dignity of all people, so we leverage personal stories to help community members grow, connect, and heal. Our programs include a season of public StorySlams and workshops, collaborations with businesses, schools, and nonprofits, and media partnerships that extend the reach of stories told onstage both in print and on air.
We are seeking a teaching artist to coordinate our youth program and facilitate storytelling programs that help young people to build their storytelling skills and confidence. Our team works partly from home and partly from 5Wise co-working space at 35th/National. The schedule is variable with some evenings and weekends required; weekly in-person meetings will take place during regular business hours.
- Foster Brave Spaces where individuals are treated with dignity; prevent and interrupt harm whenever possible.
- Coordinate all of Ex Fabula’s programming for young people.
- Strengthen relationships with current partners and build relationships with potential partners.
- Document goals, roles and activities for collaborations with youth-serving organizations.
- Serve as a storytelling coach for most youth workshops, which includes customizing Ex Fabula curriculum to meet the goals and participant needs; schedule and support other storytelling coaches as needed.
- Evaluate programs to ensure they are achieving the goals.
- Gather, enter, and analyze event data (numbers, attendee names, surveys)
- Share data with collaborators and use it to continually improve Ex Fabula programs and processes
- Leverage their network in order to engage more individuals and organizations in Ex Fabula programming.
- Collaborate with other Ex Fabula staff to fill youth programming needs such as marketing of any public events and sharing stories via media partnerships.
- Support other Ex Fabula programs including monthly StorySlams, public workshops, and select special projects and look for opportunities to involve young people in those efforts.
- Commitment to Ex Fabula’s mission, vision, and values, which include equity, individuality, intentionality, representation, non-hierarchical, leading by example, interactivity, and incrementalism.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within diverse communities.
- The ability to work independently and as a team player, to take ownership, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time with intentionality and attention to detail.
- Previous experience (formal or informal) sharing personal stories (written, oral, or other formats).
- Previous experience (formal or informal) as a facilitator, teacher, teaching artist, or coach.
- Experience with computers, Microsoft Office applications, databases, and cloud platforms such as Dropbox.
Ex Fabula is an Equal Opportunity Employer. See our Nondiscrimination Policy here. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and members of other historically underrepresented groups.
This is a full-time salaried position reporting to the Program Director. The salary range is $34,000 – 36,000 depending on experience, plus travel and cell phone reimbursement, a healthcare stipend, and a generous PTO policy.
Please fill out this form, it will also ask you to upload a resume.