Why volunteer with Ex Fabula?
There are many ways to get involved with Ex Fabula and volunteering is an excellent start! Volunteers have created their own mission statement for Ex Fabula, which is “to create a welcoming environment for community members to connect through personal stories“. Ex Fabula volunteers wear many hats and opportunities include anything from assisting with events to more independent, flexible projects. We hope you’re able to find your niche and contribute your talents to the team.
Take it from our current volunteers:
“Thank you for taking the time, energy and leap of faith into programming that looks to better include all.” – Zachary
“I meet such creative, welcoming people. It is truly a happy group!“
“This job reaffirmed for me my abilities as stage manager and my abilities as a leader. THANK YOU!“
“Ex Fabula offers the opportunity to meet interesting people who are passionate about the mission.“
How can I get involved?
- Review the opportunities below and decide which one is the best fit for your skills, interests, and schedule. If you’re interested in volunteering at events:
- Sign up for an upcoming volunteer orientation session.
- At orientation, we’ll review opportunities and expectations and get you signed up to volunteer at specific events or assign projects.
- If you’re interested in serving on a committee:
When are the next volunteer orientations?
- Tuesday, October 16th @ 6-7pm; Washington Park Library (2121 N. Sherman Blvd, Milwaukee WI)
- Please sign up below to be notified of future orientations HERE
- If you have questions or comments about potentially volunteering in the future, please email Ex Fabula’s community connector, Sam, at email@example.com
Volunteer opportunities (as of Season 9)
- StorySlam Event Team
Time Commitment: 3-4 hours per month
Event volunteers ensure that Ex Fabula StorySlams run smoothly and that each audience member feels welcome. StorySlams take place September through May once a month on a weeknight. There are multiple roles to be filled for a StorySlam from being welcoming guest at the door to signing storytellers up to share on stage.
Volunteers are able to signup for roles at a StorySlam through the volunteer newsletter. Once you attend a volunteer orientation and become “active” you will receive the newsletter. The newsletter also contains a lot of other vital information and opportunities and is sent out once a month.
- Miscellaneous Tasks & Work Sessions
Time Commitment: flexible; a few hours
Outside of StorySlams, volunteers are also able to work on projects and assignments around their personal schedule. The volunteer coordinator offers a “volunteer meet up/work session” about once a month at a coffee shop to work on tasks such as: typing UltraShorts, entering in survey data, reviewing recorded stories for quality, providing skills towards graphic design projects, transcribing stories, etc.
Volunteers are notified of what the needs are for the month in the volunteer newsletter and can also work independently on projects!
- Ex Fabula Street Team
Time Commitment: flexible; a few hours
The street team distributes posters and flyers several times a year – prior to the season, for large shows, and for special events. Add your name to the list and help us out when you can!
Want to learn more about the volunteer and committee needs for Season 9? Email Sam, Ex Fabula’s community connector, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or needs you may have.
Ex Fabula’s Board is a diverse group of dedicated volunteers with a shared vision: a radically equitable community that honors the dignity of all people. We believe that when people tell their true personal stories, we can build connections, community, empathy and understanding.
The Role of the Board
We are a working board and each Board Director supports Ex Fabula by:
- Envisioning the future and developing strategy to advance our mission
- Being a thought partner with our Executive Director to execute strategies and tactics.
- Reviewing and approving financial documents.
- Recruiting other Board Directors and Committee members while ensuring that the Board’s demographics reflect
those of the Greater Milwaukee region.
- Setting goals and measuring progress toward those goals.
- Telling Ex Fabula’s story to our networks.
- Asking people and organizations to donate, collaborate, attend, and support Ex Fabula.
- Making a meaningful financial contribution to Ex Fabula
– and enjoying the benefits that come with membership.
Terms and time commitment
|Ex Fabula Board Directors serve a 3-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for up to three consecutive terms. Board meetings are held 5 times per year, and Committee meetings are held on an as-needed basis.||
“Technology creates a certain isolation. Ex Fabula’s events erase this isolation in real time, and help us connect to the people around us.”
– Dan Mueller, ARCW
We review applications for Board Directors through several lenses. We want to bring people to our Board who:
- Know us and love the work we do.
- Have connections to “influencers” who can provide significant financial support or connect us to those who can.
- Enjoy sharing Ex Fabula’s story with colleagues, friends and family, and wooing others for support.
- Have the time required to dig in and follow-through on tasks and small projects.
- Enjoy continuous learning, especially related to their personal understanding of equity and inclusion.
|We’re especially interested in adding more legal, financial and business expertise onto our team.
We’re also looking to build our pipeline for future Board leadership.
Finally, individuals from marginalized populations are strongly encouraged to apply.Service on the Ex Fabula Board of Directors is a volunteer position and without remuneration.
For more information, please contact David Lee, Chair, Ex Fabula Governance Committee.
“Ex Fabula facilitates brave spaces to be heard and seen. Their work is liberating for the larger Milwaukee community so that we all may show up as whole humans with dignity and value.”
– Rae Johnson, A.W.E.