Why volunteer with Ex Fabula?
Take it from our current volunteers:
“Anyone looking for a great MKE org to volunteer for, that treats its volunteers like rockstars, look no further. Can’t wait for next season!” – Zachary
“I meet such creative, welcoming people. It is truly a happy group!”
“This job reaffirmed for me my abilities as stage manager and my abilities as a leader. THANK YOU!”
“Ex Fabula offers the opportunity to meet interesting people who are passionate about the mission.”
How can I get involved?
- Review the opportunities below and decide which one is the best fit for your skills, interests, and schedule.
- If you’re interested in volunteering at events:
- Sign up for an upcoming volunteer orientation session.
- At orientation, we’ll review opportunities and expectations and get you signed up to volunteer at specific events.
- If you’re interested in serving on a committee:
When are the next volunteer orientations?
- Tuesday June 27th from 6-7pm at Washington Park Library – Register here!
Time Commitment: 3-4 hours per month
We coordinate Ex Fabula’s membership program and coordinate benefits, including planning the special members-only Secret Fabula events. We work Ex Fabula events as well, answering questions about membership and helping people to become members. This is a Subcommittee of our PR/Development committee.
Time Commitment: 4-5 hours per month
This team recruits, orients and trains Ex Fabula volunteers, writes a volunteer newsletter to keep everyone informed, and celebrates the contributions of volunteers by throwing a Volunteer Party, handing out Volunteer t-shirts, and sending thank you notes. Like people? This committee wants you!
Event volunteers ensure that our monthly StorySlams run smoothly and that each audience member feels welcome. StorySlams take place September through May, usually on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday night. Once you’ve attended an orientation, our volunteer scheduler will email you with opportunities, which are scheduled on a month by month basis.
Time commitment: approximately 6 to 10 pm.
Help audience members feel welcome from the moment they arrive! This team of 3 greets the audience, collects money, and distributes ballots at events. At the end of each Story Slam, this team helps count audience ballots that determine the favorite storyteller of the night!
Time commitment: approximately 6 to 10 pm
Interact with the audience and collect stories! This team distributes UltraShort slips, collects them and decides which ones are stage worthy. At the end of each Story Slam, this team collects the ballots from the audience. Perfect for new volunteers!
Spread the word about Ex Fabula events, the people who take the stage, and their stories! This is a Subcommittee of our PR/Development committee.
Blogger, Social media manager, or Newsletter team
Time Commitment: 4-5 hours per month
We meet in person once a month (sometimes weeknights, sometimes weekends) to set the strategy, action items and due dates, and then each person implements their part of the plan. We share a variety of items on our platforms including photos; event announcements; interviews with storytellers, workshop attendees, and volunteers; articles about storytelling; details of work Ex Fabula is doing in the community; and event recaps.
Ex Fabula Street Team
Time Commitment: flexible; a few hours
The street team distributes posters and flyers several times a year – prior to the season, for large shows, and for special events. Add your name to the list and help us out when you can!
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS through MAY 31, 2017 for new directors term starting in July 2017.
The Board supports Ex Fabula’s work by providing mission-based leadership, strategic governance, thought partnership, and oversight to advance its mission. While day-to-day operations are led by Ex Fabula’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements Ex Fabula’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by the Metrics and Monitoring committee for evaluating the organization’s impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Ex Fabula’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED, board president, and governance committee in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Ex Fabula’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities and neighborhoods that the organization serves
- Ex Fabula Board Members will consider the organization a philanthropic priority and will make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Ex Fabula can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, the organization expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their own financial capacity to give.
Ex Fabula Board Members serve a three-year term and will be eligible for re-appointment for up to three consecutive terms. Each Board Member spends 5 to 10 hours per month on Ex Fabula business including board meetings every other month, a committee meeting every 1-2 months, and tasks related to committee service. Board Members also attend Ex Fabula programming and introduce people in their networks to Ex Fabula.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Ex Fabula’s mission. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, academia, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His or her accomplishments will allow him or her to help to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members and other supporters.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Leadership accomplishments in business, government, academia, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for Ex Fabula’s mission
Service on the Ex Fabula Board of Directors is a volunteer position and without remuneration.